Wednesday 30 December 2009

Flitters and flutters... and quite big kicks

The baby's movements have crept up on me quite suddenly. I thought I was feeling little flutters...kind of like someone accidentally brushing your arm with something very soft... from about 13 weeks. But I had to concentrate hard to feel them. And in retrospect, it may have been all in my head. Then, about 10 days ago there were some flitter flutters, a bit stronger than what I'd thought I'd felt before. It happened every so often, but I still wasn't sure...

Towards Christmas day, they were getting stronger and stronger, and every so often there was a little tap from the inside. Like a baby bird trying to tap out of its egg shell. And then there was the goldfish movement. These were like a goldfish turning circles in my tummmy, round and round and round... And felt a little unpleasant... Nice, obviously because it's the baby, but... Still a bit weird. Over Christmas weekend, the baby got quite excited and started properly booting me every now and then. Turns out the baby likes snow, sledging and hanging out in grandma/grandpa's house watching TV. Sometimes making me jump with surprise when thoughts of baby had momentarily dropped out of my mind. Maybe 4-5 times a day, there would be a small football match in my lower abdomen, interspersed by little bubbly flutters of position changing and wriggling.

So yesterday I was getting on with my revision for finals (urgh) and the kicking continued. Every now and then, I'd put a hand down to see if I could feel the kicks from outside... but no... still too soft. But last night, lying in bed, I had another feel and I could definitely feel them. I got Nick to come and feel and he definitely felt them. He'd tell me when the baby kicked, and he was right every time... So exciting! I've been able to feel the baby for a while and have been getting used to it - but this was really exciting for both of us... Partly cause it's a bit more real for Nick now, but also because our wee baby was actually having some kind of impact on the outside world, and partly cause I was a bit worried it was all in my head... Yay for kicks!

No comments: